Who We Are
Berkeley F.A.T. Sheep Family is a mostly volunteer group of local bilingual Chinese American as well as English speaking Christians from churches in the area, share Christ’s love with teachers and their family members in universities from all over China. These teachers are mostly funded by the Chinese government to expand exposure in their research disciplines on the University of California Berkeley campus or at the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab. These visitors are here short-term, mostly for a year, some for an even shorter time of three to six months.
What We Believe
- We believe the Bible to be the only inspired, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful man regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of separation from God.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
What We Do
We share God’s truth and love with these Chinese intellectuals and their family members by serving them in practical ways, reaching them with the Good News of the Christian message, and nourishing them to become godly leaders for Christ who will also share their faith with others. We further hope they will effectively live out their faith in their families, communities and professions. We serve these women and men by:
- Building Christ-like relationships with Chinese students and scholars.
- Offering basic Christian information activities and practical services that demonstrate Christian love and concern.
- Leading investigative Bible studies with individuals as well as small groups.
- Providing training for those who become believers.
- Equipping new believers to return to China as effective witnesses for Christ.
What We Value
- Christ-likeness: We intentionally seek to become more like Christ, surrendering to Him daily to live and serve as He desires.
- Cooperation: We collaborate with like-minded individuals, organizations and churches, encouraging North Americans and Chinese to work together.
- Relationships: We develop friendships and trust with Chinese scholars, co-workers, and ministry partners through authentic, caring relationships.
- Initiative: We take personal initiative, holding ourselves accountable to grow personally and minister effectively using diverse gifts and proven methods.
- Balance: We work diligently to accomplish our vision while taking sufficient time for rest, family, and spiritual and personal development.